Re: Where are all the updates gone?

Res wrote:

Just to add to this, I will always take far more notice of a poster with a redhat.com address then one of the several fedora addresses getting around.

That's nice. But, even those with redhat.com addresses are not spokespersons for Red Hat and what they say can never be construed as gospel or policy. I even recall several employees of Red Hat posting from their personal addresses since they recognized that posting from their Red Hat accounts could be taken as if they spoke for Red Hat.

Now, all that I perceive is the following:

1. Fedora is a trademark of Red Hat, Inc. The Fedora Project is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc.

2. Fedora is a set of projects, *sponsored* by Red Hat and guided by the Fedora Project Board. These projects are developed by a large community of people who strive to provide and maintain the very best in free, open source software and standards.

3. lilo was dropped from Fedora and is also being dropped from the upcoming RELv5. As to the exact "why"? I don't have any insight but suspect it was decided with the Fedora Project Board and Red Hat.

4.  There is only one person developing/supporting lilo, John Coffman.

5.  You like lilo and totally dislike grub.

6. You have been offered the chance to take up the post of maintainer for lilo in Fedora as a contributor to Fedora Extras. It seems you're not really interested in becoming a contributor but prefer to remain part of the "those that can't, bitch" contingent.

7. By your own admission the only time you post to the list is " when I get bored, or feel a comment is warranted".

8. People "complain" and people get "attacked" on this list and other lists. Generally, those who complain don't do so in a constructive manner. Generally, those who attack have become defensive and/or overreact.

On a personal note, I do not use Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, and others in a production environment and it is unlikely I ever will. I will play with them but that's about it.