Re: Foreign Device Drivers WAS: sucks!

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 12:30:28 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [1] The owner of the captive NTFS to consider expanding the project
> to be more general, perhaps being able to load other drivers

I have long thought that linux could be much improved by having
its driver interface just accidentally happen to be identical to
Windows driver interface so you could just "oops" load windows
drivers :-).

Unfortunately, this would only help (admittedly the majority) folks
with i386 systems. Folks running linux on PPC, etc couldn't take
advantage of such drivers (unless you want to run drivers in
a 386 emulation layer - which might be possible but seems likely
to impact performance just a tad :-).

Also, from my brief foray into the early Windows NT Driver Development
Kit, I suspect there are only about 3 sentient entities in the universe
who actually understand how to develop windows drivers, and only one
of them lives within 4 light years of earth :-).