Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Kim Lux wrote:
> I'd like to thank Nvidia for wasting another hour of my life this
> morning !  I am pretty sure that if it wasn't for Nvidia and their
> stupid, idiotic driver system that I could have saved enough time in
> the last 2 years to go on a week's vacation !

Yeah, those bastards.  Giving you a driver for $0 and forcing you to
use it.  Round up a posse to tar and feather them.

> Yesterday I absentmindedly ran "yum update".  Stupid me, I didn't
> watch it and apparently a new kernel got installed (2835).

Why are you running updates-testing if you don't want to deal with
occasional issues of things not working?  There is no 2835 kernel un
the released updates for FC6.  You should find and fix that before
spending more time here tossing exclamation points around.

> So, then I decide that I am being silly trying to build the driver
> in the first place as I've heard great things about livna and they
> have a driver prebuilt.   So I do a "yum install nvidia" and "yum
> install module-nvidia" of course if fails.  I've got the wrong
> package name.  So I shut down Linux and boot XP and go searching on
> the web to find that the package name is "kmod-nvidia".  BTW: I
> consider it a complete failure that I have to boot Windows to get my
> Linux box running !

You don't have to boot windows or even search the web to find the
right package name.  All you need to do is try yum search nvidia or
even yum list "*nvidia*".

Please don't call a failure to know how to use the tools a complete
failure.  yum --help or man yum would have made it clear that you
could search from the command line. If you're not reading the man
pages for the commands you run to administer the system, then you will
most certainly face many more problems along the way.

> BTW: google doesn't work with lynx, nor does surfing some helpful
> websites.

I don't even have lynx installed by default here (and I did check off
text-mode internet during install).  Instead I have links, which
works fine with google, AFAICT.

Installing lynx and pointint it to google I find it brings up the home
page and I can search for nvidia linux driver without issue (for bonus
points I even followed the first link to nvidia's page and downloaded
the driver).  So perhaps you ought to define "doesn't work" a little
more clearly.

> Total time wasted, over an hour.  And this sort of game happens EVERY
> time one upgrades a kernel !

Then put excludes=kernel* into your yum.conf and don't just update it
anytime an update is pushed.  And, more importantly, don't enable the
updates-testing repo.

> Its funny, we have people in the Linux community debating about
> whether Linux is ready for the desktop for the average user.  With
> this sort of issue still alive and well in Linux, the answer to that
> question is absolutely NO !

I've installed Fedora for several of my friends who are very much not
computer types and they've had no problem using it to read email, surf
the web, rip and burn music, etc.  All of the things an "average user"
does can be easily accomplished with Linux.  I did this with FC1 and
FC2 for those friends (which were current at the time I did the
installs), so it's not even like it requires the latest and greatest
to have been usable.

> In summary, I am totally frustrated with Nvidia with this driver
> situation.  I will never, ever buy a piece of Nvidia hardware again
> unless this situation is rectified.  I'd replace the Nvidia video
> driver I have but its built into the laptop that I otherwise love.

I think others have mentioned that you don't need to use the Nvidia
binary drivers if you don't need 3D.  I ran the open-source nv driver
in my laptop up until recently.  I only started to use the binary
driver because it seemed to be the only one that I could get suspend
to work with, but that may be a quirk of my laptop's hardware and
BIOS and/or due to my gross lack of understanding of how to fiddle the
right knobs to make suspend work. :)

- --
Most people in this society who aren't actively mad are, at best,
reformed or potential lunatics.
    -- Susan Sontag