Re: Runaway cpu

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 09 November 2006 22:23, Rick Stevens wrote:

This can be caused by a flaky connection or a low-power condition on
the bus...the kernel gets flooded by plug/unplug event IRQs and khubd
has to try to get rid of them all.  As Lyvim says, try unplugging ALL of
the USB stuff (including any hubs), wait a bit and see if it calms down.
If not, reboot and connect things one-at-a-time to see what triggers it.

This doesn't mean much to me, but it may give some clues to someone else:

 WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
      CIRC unrecovered error -- (asc=0x11, as ...:  9 Time(s)
      Error: Medium error -- ...:  9 Time(s)
     sda:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sda, l ...:  1 Time(s)
     sdb:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sdb, l ...:  1 Time(s)
     sdc:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sdc, l ...:  1 Time(s)
     sdd:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sdd, l ...:  1 Time(s)
    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, l ...:  69 Time(s)
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, l ...:  2 Time(s)
    Buffer I/O error on device sdb, l ...:  2 Time(s)
    Buffer I/O error on device sdc, l ...:  2 Time(s)
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector ...:  9 Time(s)
    hdc: media error (bad sector): er ...:  9 Time(s)
    hdc: media error (bad sector): st ...:  9 Time(s)
    pwc: Error (-19) re-submitt ...:  2 Time(s)
    usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71 ...:  1 Time(s)

Taken from logwatch. The hdc errors are when I have a dvd recorded with a weak signal. They often will play on my standalone recorder, but not on this box. I ignore them, but the sdx errors are more likely to be connected with the runaway problem.

Anne

Anne

I wonder if you are having a power supply problem looking at the errors. If you have sensors running, check your voltages. Or check them in your bios if you can.

are the sd(x) errors external devices or internal drives?

I had a power supply that was just at the limit and it affected DVD usage. Then I had a power supply that had a low 5volt rail that was causing hard drive errors.

The low power supply could be affected when you plug in a USB device.

FWIW, my low voltage rail was on a power supply that was less than a year old.

--
Robin Laing