Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:25:22 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> We already have the "captive NTFS" project which loads "foreign"
> device drivers. Why not build upon that effort? Isn't this
> something worthy of discussion?

Whoops, itchy ctrl-enter fingers there. It is indeed worthy of
discussion. I'm not at all opposed to discussing things such as
building upon or improving things like nvidia and NTFS. Isn't that
similar to what livna (I don't regularly use livna so I'm speaking
outside my realm of experience here at this point) does or at least
attempts to do?

I use the NTFS module regularly as I have to play WoW (yes pixel
crack)and on occasion I leave files behind that I want in linux,
and I've had no real complaints about it. It just works.

Livna does a very good job in my opinion from the two or three
times I've used them for my nvidia driver) of providing a usable
and useful module. I have also compiled the nvidia module manually
and not had any problem. That does not speak for others, I know.

Would I prefer to have that sort of thing native within linux?
Sure, but currently that's not the reality of it and will not be
for some time. Quite some time, unfortunately. As a side question,
do you believe that this makes linux less of an "average user" sort
of OS?

--
Alex White
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx