Foreign Device Drivers WAS: sucks!

ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:25:22 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

We already have the "captive NTFS" project which loads "foreign"
device drivers. Why not build upon that effort? Isn't this
something worthy of discussion?

Whoops, itchy ctrl-enter fingers there. It is indeed worthy of
discussion. I'm not at all opposed to discussing things such as
building upon or improving things like nvidia and NTFS. Isn't that
similar to what livna (I don't regularly use livna so I'm speaking
outside my realm of experience here at this point) does or at least
attempts to do?

I'm not familiar with livna. I've barely used NTFS on a couple of
occasions, and then only to read.

[snip]

Would I prefer to have that sort of thing native within linux?
Sure, but currently that's not the reality of it and will not be
for some time. Quite some time, unfortunately. As a side question,
do you believe that this makes linux less of an "average user" sort
of OS?

Of course, doing things natively is usually superior to using
foreign. Yes this is one of the ways that Linux is more of a
"techie" vs. "Joe Schmoe" targetted OS.

Anyone interested in investigating what it would take to encourage

[1] The owner of the captive NTFS to consider expanding the project
to be more general, perhaps being able to load other drivers and

[2] The Linux kernel developers to make something like this be
part of the regular distro kernel?

If a few respond positively, then perhaps we can make some progress
instead of whining perpetually about how the OTHER OS always has
drivers for it, but we don't get 'em.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.