Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Alex White wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

Instead of reacting to the tone of the complaint, try doing a little
introspection and see whether there isn't a kernel of truth hiding
in there, and a way in which Linux could grow up a little. Having
a published supported driver interface would ease support not only
for NVIDIA drivers, but for all drivers. And that's something worth
considering.

(No pun intended above.)

Mike

Then this is still the wrong place for Kim or yourself to be discussing the issue. This is a users list. Fedora is a distribution unrelated to

Silly me. I thought I qualified as a user by having Fedora installed
and running on my machine 24/7. I guess I'll have to go back and search
the Red Hat website and find the official definition of user.

the kernel development and progression that takes place with the kernel developers. The distributions all patch the vanilla kernel. So what needs to happen with this particular issue is for Kim and others to discuss this the lkml. Period.

Silly me, again. I thought the forum was for discussion of issues
affecting Fedora releases.

The users here are not going to fix this. Kernel Developers would fix this, if they even consider it broken. It's not a matter of growing up,

And they will not consider it broken until such time as users get
together and petition for that. And users can't rally unless they
have a forum and discussion about it, can they?

although Kim has been told on multiple occasions this is not the forum for his ranting, perhaps he needs or does not need to take said advice;

I have mentioned that I don't like the tone of the thread. But that
doesn't mean that all who are concerned with the future of Linux
can't discuss this issue, and perhaps find a recommended approach
to resolving this issue, and go to the developers with it.

Just to dismiss a complaint because it is presented in an obnoxious
manner is to throw out the baby with the wash.

however, I don't know him and don't really care what his mental state happens to reflect. He has gleefully ignored at least to my eyes the various and multiple comments to address this issue elsewhere. A user list is not the proper forum for making suggestions about kernel development issues with regards to driver interfaces. Distributions are not part of that process, unless they write an interface and submit it to the kernel developers.

Who appointed you moderator? I guess I'll have to go back to the Red
Hat website and reread the moderator list.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.