Re: Desperate situation

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 12:06 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> If you are playing with older hardware, one thing to be aware of is
> that the secondary interface may not support UDMA. This is especially
> true of early UDMA-66 MBs. The primary supported UDMA-66, but the
> secondary did not - it was intended for CD-ROM drives.

I have one that's the opposite way around:  An ABit BE6 with four IDE
connectors.  The first two are UDMA 33, the second two UDMA 66.  Which
leads to some oddball entries in your fstab file, if you opt to use the
ports to the best use.  Not to mention that it's UDMA 66 ports had
rather poor firmware, so that many people couldn't install an OS to a
drive on those ports, they had to install using another port, then shift
the drive.  Which brought about many problems.  It was renown for being
difficult to install Windows 2000 to, and it wasn't until at least Red
Hat 7.x Linux that I could put Linux on it.

I read messages from the public lists.