Fakraid Support

The motherboard on my machine has hardware raid. I was advised not to use it because it would not communicate raid problems to the kernel so I would not find out if I had a problem with a drive. Is fakeraid supported by Fedora kernels? It is tempting as it makes configuration so much more straight forward. Software raid 5 and lvm are quite complicated.

Yesterday, I tried to do a fresh install without deleting all partitions and rebooting first. I got through package selection and it then failed because a device was already mounted. I suspect it got mounted by the initial boot as it discovered an fc4 installation already there. I think the solution is to clean the drives completely, reboot and then install.

Separating the raid from the software seems attractive to me. The kernel needs the ability to handle hardware problems in that they need to be communicated.

Rejean Proulx
Visit my family at http://interfree.ca
MSN is: rejean@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ham License VA3REJ