Re: Desperate situation

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 18:45 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2006 18:16, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Hmm - when I'm sure that I can't get anything else useful off it, I'll
> > > try that.  I've got FC4 installing at the moment on the new drive.  I
> > > installed the old one as slave, but the FC4 installer tells me that it
> > > can't read the partition table.  That's odd, because knoppix could read
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Do you have the drive defined in the BIOS that same way as when it
> > was the master drive? Is it an older machine that required you to
> > install some software on the drive to get it to work?
> >
> Well, after a little experimentation I have a result - though I don't really
> know why.
>
> The hda drive says, on its label, that as a standalone drive you should use no
> jumpers.  As a master with a slave, it needs a jumper on the centre two pins.
> That's the way I had set it up when it tried to boot Mandriva.  I
> disconnected hdb, leaving hda untouched, and got no further than the
> motherboard splash screen.  I re-connected it, but took off the jumper -
> 'standalone', remember - and now FC boots, and 'fdisk -l' can list the
> partitions on hdb!

This sounds a lot like some things I have encountered.

First one very critical question... What type of ribbon cable are you
connecting the drives with?   Cable select or not.

Almost all new drive cables are cable select cables.  They usually have
a colored connector at the board end, a grey connector in the middle
(slave) and a black connector at the drive end (master).

If you are jumpering the drives any way except as cable select (cs) then
you may encounter problems when using them on a CS cable.  You *will*
encounter problems if a drive jumpered for master is connected to the
slave connector, and vice versa.  You *may* encounter problems with a
drive jumpered as master and connected to the master connector or when
jumpered as slave and connected to the slave connector (I have seen this
myself).

The safest way any more is to use the CS cables and jumper all devices
to CS for compatibility.