Re: Desperate situation

Edward Dekkers wrote:
I've never used CS - I've never been comfortable with the idea - but the black is connected to hda and the grey to hdb, so they are the correct connections. I always understood that jumpering overrode CS, but perhaps you are right, and it is now necessary to use CS.

Thanks for the suggestion

Anne

Anne, as a system builder (9 Years) and GID, I'd just like to mention that our drives have ALWAYS been jumpered 'master' and 'slave'. Any time we encounter problems it is because we try to use CS, or incorrect hard drive positions on the cable.

[RANT MODE ON]

Amen to that. This is getting dangerously close to starting a flame war,
though. ISTM that we all learned a valuable lesson from the way IBM
did the "twisted cable" on floppy discs, and jumpered all floppy drives
as "B", and let the "cable select" which was really "A". This was, as
all at the time agreed, an unmitigated disaster. Now we are having
"cable select" pushed upon us as if it were a new concept. It is not.
It is an old concept which experience has proven causes many more
problems than it resolves. In fact, I can't think of any it resolves.
None of my machines is set up for cable select.

[RANT MODE OFF]

I'm not saying that what the other poster was saying wasn't true, but it is contrary to ANY experience I've ever had.

It's also contrary to the documented interface.

iow: I agree with your initial assumption. I do not believe CS to be a great option. The few times we've gotten it to work, it seemed to take much longer to decide anything in POST stage.

Mind you, I certainly should mention that for the last 14 month or so, this has been a moot point as systems here are built using SATA now.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.