Re: Desperate situation

[rants about CS and slave drives elided]

Just for the record, my FC3 box at home has a slave drive on CS, working
okay for what I'm doing with it.

I had bought an extra controller under the advice that slave interfaces
are not reliable and the principle that they are no help in attempting
to distribute swap. At the time FC wouldn't recognize the slave
controller, so I removed it and just cut the partitions so that I am not
using both drives at once under any one OS (multiboot, with netbsd and
sometimes a debian distro on the slave drive, freeBSD and openBSD
together with FC3 on the primary). It works for now, for home, although
the drivers have shown up in FC3 since then so I could do it "right" if
I wanted. (I've had higher priorities.)

The people that sold me the box and the controllers were pleased that I
didn't have any particular problems using the slave interface on that
particular motherboard. (They had specifically warned me that there
would be no guarantees on it.)

Not coincidentally, I do not keep anything important on that box,
period. It's just experimental stuff, and I pull any important results
off immediately. If I ever do keep anything important on it I'll use a
good SCSI drive for the important data.

The reason -- aside from the write cache problem, I've had much better
luck with old SCSI drives than old ATA drives, and it's always the old
drives that have the valuable data on them. And old with SCSI means at
least twice as many years as with ATA. Manufacturers generally use
better processes building SCSI, although there are plenty of exceptions.