Re: Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 01:20:31AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
 > On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 01:12:57AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
 > >  > I guess the argument is: there's a chance that something got skipped
 > >  > and the a kernel got built with the name matching a /boot/config-* file
 > >  > but actually with different options -- no risk of that with the /proc
 > >  > approach.
 > > There's no risk of it happening with the current approach either.
 > > The .config that gets packaged is the .config rpmbuild faced
 > > when it built the RPM. Why would it be different ?
 >
 > For example if someone rebuilds a kernel with the same name/number outside
 > of RPM.
 >
 > But, y'know, Don't Do That.

If someone is building their own kernel, they should know what they're doing.
Folks building their own kernels get to turn on /proc/config.gz for themselves
anyway if they really want it. This discussion is about the packaging of
the kernel RPMs used by those who don't recompile.

		Dave