Re: Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 08:56:53PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

 > > the same reasons that it wasnt when this came up 2-3 days
 > > ago on this list.  We already ship the config in /boot
 > > Putting it into /proc wastes memory for no good reason
 > > for every user.
 >
 > OK, I see it is there. Thanks.
 >
 > I still think it would be better to follow the Linux standard,
 > as decided presumably by Linus Torvalds,
 > with config.gz accessible in /proc .

Just because something gets merged into Linus' kernel, does not
mean that it is mandated as some 'standard'. If this were true
we'd all be using horrors like devfs now.

Contrary to popular opinion, sometimes, Linus gets things wrong.

 > Sorry I missed it before on the list -
 > but one would have to devote one's life completely to Fedora
 > to read everything in this newsgroup/mailing-list.
 > The config issue only arose for me an hour ago,
 > so I would not have noted it earlier as something to remember.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+config.gz
First hit is an archive of the previous discussion.

I agree following high-traffic lists like fedora-list
is very time-consuming, and not for everyone, but if
people don't do basic research before asking the
same questions over and over, the signal to noise
ratio on the list goes down the toilet.

		Dave