Re: trying to update to "new" ATI drivers killed X on my FC2

Gene Heskett wrote:

You can start by posting your /var/log/Xorg.0.log, after you have
<>looked at it and verified that its reporting a failure you don't know
how to fix.

:-) I won't know how to fix any failure. I have never been able to make even one second of sense of anything X-related.

But I'll post soon-ish.

<>You can probably do that posting with mutt, an email agent that runs
on a plain old bash shell. But I'm like you, that would be a last
resort. It probably isn't that crippled but on a bash shell it's
"different".

Well, as an example, I've been turning my wireless card on by using the graphical network config tool (it isn't started automatically since I never know where I'll be turning the laptop on) that I couldn't remember how to actually get the networking running "by hand". I finally remembered ('ifup home') but pine wasn't on my machine, and I doubt mutt is either -- I never install stuff like that when I install since I never do command line mail stuff. :-(

But we'll see what I can divine...

Meanwhile, unlike linux (as far as I know) WinXP has a habit of disconnecting from my darn router every few minutes. Irritating. If I am forced to use Windows for very long while trying to fix KDE, I may actually have to try to fix that problem too.