To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 15 August, 2004 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: Setting up network

Finally managed to copy/paste my systems response

[billw@workgroup billw]$ rpm -ga|grep samba
rpm: one type of query/verify may be performed at a time
[billw@workgroup billw]$

Hope this helps

Use
rpm -qa|grep samba

not

rpm -ga|grep samba

You'd better have more answer than that if you intend to have a M$ network!

The FC1 box I'm using right now responds: [rj@mavis rj]$ rpm -qa|grep samba samba-client-3.0.0-15 samba-3.0.0-15 samba-common-3.0.0-15 redhat-config-samba-1.1.4-1 samba-swat-3.0.0-15

Turning to my FC3t1 box...
[rj@mavis rj]$ ssh clem

It responds:
rj@clem ~]$ rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-client-3.0.5-0pre1.0
system-config-samba-1.2.12-1
samba-swat-3.0.5-0pre1.0
samba-common-3.0.5-0pre1.0
samba-3.0.5-0pre1.0
[rj@clem ~]$

...and I would bet that FC2 has perhaps yet another version number but includes all of those packages. Now, then... If the query on your machine returned only the single line that you indicated, your machine needs attention. IF, OTOH, you are really getting the 5 lines above and just took it upon yourself to save us some reading, you're in desperate need of studying http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

There is nobody on this list who can help you unless you let them.

-- The system was down for backups from 5am to 10am last Saturday.

 10:21:00  up 3 days, 11:28,  5 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.10, 0.06
     One billion seconds ago it was 07:34:20 CST Thu 12/07/72