Re: Setting up network

Well I have been looking at samba and installing it is a clear as mud. I have read a bunch but have not gotten any real help about how to install it. Will keep trying and hope for the best. I hope you are right and it is doable.

Thanks

ml@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Bill,

I got the IP address of one of the other computers and then went to
the Linux machine and used the terminal window and pinged the windows computer and got a repeating message as follows

64 bytes from 192.168.123.100 and etc.
That is the IP address of the windows computer and I assume it was seeing it.

good. So you have a network connection between these boxes.

What I meant by seeing the other computers was with windows you have a
network window that shows all the networked computers and when you
click on one it show what is being shared and you can click on that
icon and get into the drive or whatever is being shared.

I expected that you mean such a thing. It is doable, but it's not easy.
You must install samba on the FC2 Box. Best if you search the internet
or the Red Hat documentation for Howtos. If you get stuck this list will
help you.

Good luck Volker