Re: Setting up network

I am a total newby but hopefully I can get some what out of that before too long. Thanks for the help...

reader@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Bill Tetens <zuki269@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Well I have been looking at samba and installing it is a clear as mud. I have read a bunch but have not gotten any real help about how to install it. Will keep trying and hope for the best. I hope you are right and it is doable.

It is doable and is only difficult if you are as brand new as you are.
Its actually fairly easy for someone with even just a little
experience.

Fedora/redaht provides lots of tools to help you with this.

First lets see what tools you have on board to install samba.  I'll be
surprised if it is not already installed.

type:
   rpm -qa|grep samba

What showed up was: rpm:L one type query/verify may be performed at a time

Show us what if any packages that lists.
If you get none try this:

rpm --redhatprovides samba

This showed up: Unknown Option

This will query the distro package list to see what pkg provides samba functionality.

It might show you something like:
   samba-3.0.5-0pre1.0

If it fails then the `redhat-rpmdb' pkgs is not installed.

Now lets see if `yum' is installed:

rpm -qa|grep yum

This showed up again: one type query/verify may be performed at a time.

If that shows a `yum-*' pkg we are in business.

Lets see some of these results before moving on or you will get
overwhelmed with to many instructins at once.