Re: I want to force 1/2 duplex from my network card. How?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:11:32 -0600 (CST)
Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Andre Costa wrote:
>
> > Ok, no rush: linux kernel can have some of its components compiled
> > as modules, which means they're loaded on demand. If you type
> >
> > lsmod
>
> Even worse. Kudzu blew the identification. It is really a "3com940
> 1000base?". STill, ethtool -s eth0 duplex half doesn't work. So, back
> to your idea we go...

You could try watching dmesg output to see if you find something useful
there. Be advised that you might not find anything -- some drivers are
just more verbose than others. Again, this doesn't necessarily mean
trouble.

Also, run 'lspci -v' and see if something useful comes out of it.

> OK, but as it turns out, there are no modules for this card. I do have
> a second card in there, a 3com501, and Kudzu won't even recognize it.
> I believe there's a big bug to swat for that one in bugzilla.
> Anyway...

Hold your horses, it might not really be a bug. Although not likely,
network support for your specific card could have been compiled builtin
(and not as a module), which would explain it missing from lsmod output.

> Yep. Unfortunately, I don't have any modules for it, and I don't know
> where to get one.

Ok, you might need to compile your own kernel version to make sure it
fits your hardware just fine (again, this shouldn't be necessary as the
default kernel usually has all possible drivers compiled as modules).
It's not something to be affraid of, but you do need to take some
precautions and know what you're doing so that you don't end up with an
unbootable system, for example.

There are a couple of resources about kernel customization and
compilation out there, try to find some. If you need any further help
with this, contact me offlist and I will be glad to help you.

HTH

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa