Re: I want to force 1/2 duplex from my network card. How?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Andre Costa wrote:

> Hi Gilbert,
>
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:18:13 -0600 (CST)
> Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Subject says it all. Auto-detect is giving me full duplex, but it
> > should really be 1/2 duplex. Redhat-config-network* doesn't do
> > anything for me to solve this. I want this to be "hard-coded", if you
> > will. Thanks for any advice. Running FC1, fully patched...
>
> First, you should provide at least some info about your network card...

Sorry, my bad. It is a Syskonnect SK-98xx (subvariant) Gigabit ethernet
card. It is currently running 100 MB full duplex.

> anyway, what you probably need is some module parameters (assuming NIC
> support is configured as a module on your system).
>
> eg. here with my nForce2 chipset, nvnet allows the following parameters:
>
> # modinfo nvnet
> filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptlcustom/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o
> author:      "NVIDIA (linux-nforce-bugs@xxxxxxxxxx"
> license:     "NVIDIA"
> parm:        speed int, description "Control speed by setting 0 for auto, 1 for 10 Mbps and 2 for 100 Mbps"
> parm:        duplex int, description "Control duplex by setting 0 for auto, 1 for half and 2 for full"
> parm:        optimization int, description "Control optimization by setting 0 for Throughput, 1 for CPU"
>
> You could then provide the above params (speed, duplex, optimization) on
> the /etc/modules.conf file. Maybe something similar can be done for your
> network card module.

Hmmm. I'm scared to try this out since I frankly admit I have no idea what
I am doing.

Alexander Dolloz wrote:

> Please do not hijack foreign threads. Posting a new subject mail to the
> list please use an empty mail editor window and do not take a foreign
> posting. Else the mail contains a misleading reference to an unrelated
> topic - like your post now.

How is this unrelated? I described the problem, and then went into detail.

>To you problem: use either ethtool or mii-tool to force half duplex
>mode.
>
>Alexander

%ethtool -s eth1 duplex half
Cannot get current device settings: Operation not supported not setting
duplex

Hmmm. OK, what am I doing wrong here?

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***