Re: kernel: Out of Memory

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Tim wrote:

>      I've searched through the list archives and have been unable to find
> anything that can shed some light on this issue for me.  I have a base
> fedora install that once a week when the log rotate happens runs out of
> memory for some reason.  The only package not in the fedora install I have
> on the system currently is Dans Guardian.
>
>      System has 192 MB of ram and 256 mb of swap.
>
>      If I manually run the log rotate everything works fine, there must be
> something else happening that I don't realize that is causing the memory
> problems.  I'm fresh out of ideas so any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Tim

Check the list of files in /var/log.  Some buggy packages may use wildcard
specs in their logrotate directives.  That can lead to a boatload of files
as backups get rotated, and then those get rotated, ad nauseum.  If you
spot files like foo.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2, you'll know you've been bitten
and you can bugzilla the offending package.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu