Re: Java and openjdk

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. It may matter to you why your 3rd party application doesn't run. It matters to me whether it runs or not.

It is not a matter of opinion. You claimed that if Fedora shipped official Java, then the problems would disappear for third party applications.

I don't think that's exactly what I said. I think I said Sun Java but in any case what I meant if if wasn't clear were the versions needed to run 3rd party apps. And at this point that is generally Sun Java 1.5 or sometimes 1.4.

OpenJDK is Fedora 9 is officially Java and certified as such. You cannot continue to claim otherwise. If you still run into problems, you should be filing bug reports.

Against what? Applications that specify that they require Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5?

Are you running any recent release of Fedora?

No, they have been too painful.

What are the specific issues?

OpenNMS would be a good test. At the moment it won't work with either java 1.6 or postgresql 8.3. Yes, those are mostly application issues, but regarding different behavior by different versions.

Depending on implementation specific quirks would certainly be a bug.

Agreed, but working is a yes or no question.

Have you ever filed a single bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com against Fedora?

Not regarding java, as I've given up on caring if fedora continues to ship broken versions or not. I would prefer a design that permits easy installation of versions of my choice and co-existence of multiple versions, though. Java is clearly designed to permit that even though the fedora setup doesn't take into consideration that different apps may need different versions at the same time.

Your bugs should be filed depending on whether it is a application issue or a implementation issue. If applications follow the standard specification, they would be compatible with all implementation s of Java which follow the specification whether it is OpenJDK in Fedora 9, Sun Java, IBM Java or something else.

That hasn't been true, ever, as far as I know. Almost every large java app will have some version-level dependencies - if you want to run them you use the appropriate jvm. Maybe someday...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx