Re: The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 23:51 -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> This list, fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx, is one of the first lists that most
> Fedora users join, and therefore quite important to the community.
> However, it's a high-volume list (and is sometimes perceived to have a
> high noise level), so many veterans of the Fedora community aren't
> subscribed.
>
> As the result of discussion at the last public (IRC) board meeting, it's
> been proposed that narrow the scope of this list a bit. The current
> description of this list simply reads:
>
>    fedora-users: For users of Fedora
>
> The proposed replacement is:
>
>    fedora-users: Help and support for using the Fedora distribution.
>
> Feedback on this proposed change is welcome.
I against this change for several reasons.

If you'd really want to separate "end-user support" from "general
discussions on topics related to Fedora", then  I'd recommend to add an
additional "fedora-support-list" and to see how this works out.

Also, do you expect such a change to improve the situation wrt. Linux
veterans not participating on this list?
 I don't, because to "Linux veterans" the "non-technical issues" related
to Linux often are more important/interesting than the "mere technical
issues" (Remember: Using Linux also is a political statement)

Ralf (Linux veteran)