Re: The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

* Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> [20080826 21:36]:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:39 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 07:13 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > (Remember: Using Linux also is a political statement)
> >
> > Maybe.  Maybe not.
> Well, to newcomer, it's likely not an obvious political statement, to
> Linux veterans supporting Linux rsp. one of it's flavors (here: Fedora)
> is a fully conscious active political statement/decision.

Chosing to use Linux may be a political statement. It may also be a "I
picked the best tool for the job, and this time, it happened to be
Linux".

> This might be news to newcomers who regard Fedora and Linux as "a
> technical alternative to Vista", ... but whether you like it or not,
> Linux comes with political and philosophical strings attached, whether
> you agree to them or not.

That is true.

What's not true is the percieved need to ram political and
philosophical views down the neck of some poor newcomer that requires
technical assistance. (I've made this point before.)

IMHO - the community would be much better served by letting the first
list a new user subscribes to focus on help rather than
indoctrination. After all, we do want more users, right? :)

/Anders