Re: F8 update kills KDE

2008/4/20 David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 20:23 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >

> > I don't know if it's actually *possible* to install Fedora without
> > Gnome, but I take your point.
> >

>  You can install Fedora and chose to not install the GNOME desktop. Since
> GNOME is the default you have to actively chose *not* to install it. You
> have to uncheck the box.
>

> > Fair enough. My original post was in answer to a question about whether
> > KDE was a "second-class citizen" in Fedora, which is why I didn't
> > mention other desktops, but of course the same comments apply to them as
> > well.
> >

>  Fedora has a very active team that works on KDE. Calling KDE "a
> "second-class citizen" in Fedora" would hurt their feeling I would think.
> ;-)

I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Hopefully they've got
thicker skin than that, I made an observation based on my experience.
I felt then and now that the default KDE desktop looked and felt like
a GNOME knock-off. It has also been my experience that most do assume
that you have GNOME installed. I'll happily try KDE again when F9 hits
final release, I hope to be proven wrong, I don't expect it will all
work flawlessly, it is as many have said a major revision, but  KDE
needs its own personality, I didn't feel that KDE distinguished itself
from GNOME very well when i first tried it on Fedora 7. If i'm in the
minority with that opinion, so be it. I appreciate all the hard work
that goes into Fedora, hopefully nobody takes my comments to
personally. No one is obliged to prove anything to anyone. I still
think Fedora blows the doors off all the other Linux distributions,
I've tried most of them.

Max