Re: Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:01 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:54 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> >
> > If you aren't using X (graphical boot or graphical login or startx from
> > command line), then I think the display is handled by the kernel and
> > there is no file containing the settings.
> >
> > In X, definitions are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> >

> The xorg.conf doesn't say much, it's all the default, which should work
> I would think?

You would think, but maybe not.  It's taken a long time for the default
nv driver to work with my card, which was too new when I got the
machine.

Try changing the driver line from intel to vesa.

> > The rhgb option in /etc/grub.conf runs the graphical boot.  Graphical
> > login is controlled by /etc/inittab, in particular, the line
> >
> >         id:5:initdefault:
> >
> > If you change the 5 to 3 on that line, you will boot to command-line
> > mode.  Log in and run startx.  You can shift back to your login console
> > with <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>.  See if there are any error reports on the
> > console.  Also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
> > to see if there are errors.
> >

> I now boot at run level 3. When I type startx the screen goes black and
> when I press <ctrl><alt><f1> I don't go back to the login but instead I
> get a lot of error messages which can provide a clue on what is going
> wrong. Is there a way I can capture those messages? Are they maybe put
> in a file?

If not in Xorg.0.log, maybe in /var/log/messages.  You should be able to
capture console output with the mouse (left-click-drag to select,
middle-click to paste) if gpm is running.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu