Re: Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:01 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
When I type startx the screen goes black and when I press
<ctrl><alt><f1> I don't go back to the login but instead I get a lot
of error messages which can provide a clue on what is going wrong. Is there a way I can capture those messages? Are they maybe put
in a file?

See:  /var/log/Xorg*log*

Well, that does contain a lot of info but no error, and it doesn't contain what I see on the screen. The last lines on the screen (I cna't scroll up) are

(nautilus:4247): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_client_get_string: assertion 'err == NULL || *err == NULL' failed

(nautilus:4247): Eel-WARNING **: Gconf  error:
Failed to contact configuration server: some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking to ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-giulio/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied 2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-giulio/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied)

I will look at that web page and into the gconfd thing, but any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Giulio