Re: Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:54 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
If you aren't using X (graphical boot or graphical login or startx from
command line), then I think the display is handled by the kernel and
there is no file containing the settings.

In X, definitions are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The xorg.conf doesn't say much, it's all the default, which should work I would think?

The rhgb option in /etc/grub.conf runs the graphical boot.  Graphical
login is controlled by /etc/inittab, in particular, the line

        id:5:initdefault:

If you change the 5 to 3 on that line, you will boot to command-line
mode.  Log in and run startx.  You can shift back to your login console
with <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>.  See if there are any error reports on the
console.  Also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
to see if there are errors.

I now boot at run level 3. When I type startx the screen goes black and when I press <ctrl><alt><f1> I don't go back to the login but instead I get a lot of error messages which can provide a clue on what is going wrong. Is there a way I can capture those messages? Are they maybe put in a file?

Giulio

P.S. I attach the Xorg.conf file
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection