Re: Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
>
>  >> I don't think John Linville's "Just do what I say,
>  >> and don't ask questions" is an adequate substitute.
>  >
>  > Give me a break.  Are you so bored that you have nothing better to
>  > do than to pick fights on mailing lists?
>
>  I'm not bored, and I don't enjoy picking fights on mailing lists.
>

>  In my opinion, a wizard should work at least 95% of the time
>  before it is accepted as a standard part of a distribution.

I was one of the complainers about NM, so let me report the happy
outcome. If you turn off the wpa_supplicant and network services, then
NM will work to connect you to DHCP networks almost always, I'd guess
it is about 99.5% for me since JL had posted the "please try NM first"
message.   So why not try it?

And file a bug report if it does not work.

Linux is a bazarre, not a democracy.  If you really want a Linux
distribution in which everything works with 95% certainty, I suggest
you buy RedHat Enterprise Linux.   They have employees who answer your
questions.     Don't forget Fedora is a volunteer project, and
volunteers work on things that 1) interest them and 2) work for them
and 3) they can defend over the long term against system changes.  Or
things their employers pay them to work on.  They are letting you use
their stuff for free.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science