Re: Java problem

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 23:38 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> >> Says whom? Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat RHEL.
> > ----
> > I'd be interested to see what evidence you offer for this besides just a
> > gut feeling. I've seen similar comments but they seem to be spouted by
> > people who simply don't know anything empirically. I haven't seen that
> > comment made by anyone from Red Hat but perhaps you have and can point
> > out a link to me.
>
> Go through the fedora mail list archives and note how the system
> stabilizes and complaints stop a few months before a new RHEL release.
> Then compare the program versions in the RHEL release to what fedora
> users were running.  You'll find a couple of surprises out of the
> thousands of packages.  RHEL4 including mysql5 would be a notable
> difference to the FC3 contemporary; adding the Sun jdk to RHEL4/5
> updates after the release would be another.  And look at the problems
> mentioned on the mail list as major changes begin again in the following
> fedora version.
----
just for the record, I remember getting an 'extra' CD with the store
bought RHL 7.1 that contained Java and I believe Acrobat Reader rpm's so
the notion that this is something that started with RHEL 4/5 simply
doesn't wash.

As for the notion that the system stabilizes prior to a new RHEL
release, that's entirely anecdotal. There's no question that Red Hat
personnel are involved in the development of both and it's likely that
when approaching the cycle release points of RHEL, less efforts are made
on edge releases but that would likely vary depending upon whether it
was core items or software that wasn't likely to provide libraries that
other software needs.

Craig