Re: Java problem

On Dec 29, 2007 7:24 PM, David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kam Leo wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2007 2:48 PM, David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Neither openSuSE nor Fedora are end-all products. Both distributions
> > make decent servers. However, neither is ready to replace Microsoft's
> > Windows OS and the applications for that OS. Some day perhaps; just
> > not today.
>

> I am not familiar openSuSE. But I thought that, from what I have read,
> that openSuSE was a desktop oriented type distribution.

Novell Corporation is the principle sponsor of openSUSE. openSUSE has
an enterprise version with full support.

> > Fedora is fast paced and has fewer restraints on me with configuring a
> > system. I learn many things because of that pace.
> >
> > Why do I have to exclusively run one variant of Linux? I have multiple
> > machines which are multi-booted.
>

> An again Fedora is a desktop oriented distribution.

Says whom? Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat RHEL. Samba, apache, Open
Office, Gnome, and KDE are just applications running on top of the
latest version of the Linux OS. Which packages you install determines
whether your machine is a server, a desktop, or a hybrid.

> I see no problem, your choice of course, how many distributions you wish
> to run. I would not think, if it was me, that I would run a desktop
> distribution as a true server.
>
> May I ask why you do that? When there are several, many, good server
> oriented distributions, run desktop oriented distributions as servers?

Please tell me how the kernel, Apache, and Samba packages in the other
server distributions are any better than the ones provided with
Fedora.