Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

> If there has not any problem in Ubuntu,using NVIDIA binary
> drivers,then what´s the problem in Fedora?Strange!

Well, that depends on what you used and how you built it.

I have been using the nVIDIA driver for a very long time.  I build the
driver via the install script. I do not use the Livna/FreshRPMS/whatever
RPM kernel module. (I have tried.  Will explain later.)

If you build the nVIDIA driver and then update X components that use 3d
acceleration, using an OpenGL program can crash your X server.  It is not
a kernel panic, but sure as hell looks like one.  The solution is to
rebuild the kernel driver (and replace the Mesa/3d code) every time X gets
updated via Yum.  (I also start in init level 3, but I am old...)

I have also seen problems with lockups with older hardware and the legacy
drivers using the Livna RPM on x86_64.  (My laptop has a 440go chipset.) I
solved this by going back to the "build by hand" method.

The only time I have seen kernel panics with the nVIDIA drivers, it was
not nVIDIA's fault.  I had a dual core Athlon system that had undervoltage
4x AGP. If you had the motherboard set to 4x AGP, it would flake every
once in a while.  It did not matter if it was Linux or Windows either.
(That ate up over a month of my life too. It was a royal pain to find the
cause.)

There is one valid point that has been brought up.  If you do get kernel
panics and the kernel developers and you mention that you are using the
closed source drivers, they will use it as an excuse to deny coverage. (As
well as vent hostility.)  I can understand their point to an extent, but
it is not helpful getting the problem solved.  Unless you can show that
the fault is in the driver, then it is just an excuse to get out of
looking at the problem.  (Kind of like the kind of answers you get if you
call Stream's tech support.)