Re: f8 boots!

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Or how to mount the f8 VolGroup01 onto fc6?
>>
>>man lvm
>>
> Doh!  I tried that, but since its lvm2 I used that and got nothing.  But,
> that
> appears to be the tools page.  There is no mention of the word mount, nor
> is
> there a mention of lvm in the mount manpage.
> No mention of lvm, and an attempted mount using ext3 fails, wrong fs
> message or??.
>
> So where is this actually covered?  I'm reticent to attempt editing fstab
> until I know it works as I had a heck of a time recovering from a one
> character typu in that once before, it will not skip a bad line and
> proceed
> with the rest of the configuration.  Any error there appears to be fatal.

I'm able to mount an LVM partition without problem:
---------------------------
[root@alfred tim]# mount /dev/VolGroup00/opt /mnt
[root@alfred tim]# ls /mnt
lost+found  SDK  sun
---------------------------

I don't see that there would be any problem if the mount didn't work.

My fstab reads in part:
---------------------------
/dev/VolGroup00/slash   /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/VolGroup00/home    /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
I take it from this that the LVM partition is ext3.

My grub.conf stanza reads
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-21.fc7)
        root (hd1,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-21.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/slash noipv6
        initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.img