Re: Excessive network traffic -

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 13:22 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 14:59 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> I have a system diagram you can view at:
> >>
> >> http://users.wildblue.net/bobgoodwin/sys071031.png
> >>

> > Well, looking at your network, you could use MRTG with the 192.168.1.1
> > device to measure the traffic going through your LAN (and for anything
> > outside that managed to connect to it through your wireless networking).
> > All your LAN traffic (including intruders) goes through it before making
> > out to your microwave internet connection.
> >
> > I think you'd only need to try and directly measure the wildblue
> > receiver if it was capable of wireless connections directly with someone
> > else.  Is it wired to the dish, or does it use a wireless link between
> > the receiver box and the dish?
> >
> > You could probably, also, use MRTG on the other wireless LAN
> > switches/bridges, to see which ones are the busy ones.  Though that'd
> > mean a plethora of different graphs.  If you wanted to trace out where
> > the traffic was coming from, I think you'd want to log your 192.168.1.1
> > device quite thoroughly, when run a logging analysis tool on it, rather
> > than just a MRTG graph.
> >

> Yes, I agree, I really don't want graphical information.  I was just
> curious to see mrtg work, unfortunately I haven't had any success with
> it and my problems with usage are demanding immediate attention!
>
> "tcpdump" looks like it should produce the kind if information I need
> and it certainly cranks out a long list in short order but I haven't
> been able to find anything of significance [to me] in it?  Although it's
> being fed from the ethernet hub connected at the modem before the router
> most of what I see is dns inquiries from box10 [192.168.1.10] connected
> to it?

Try a filter on tcpdump like:

	tcpdump ip and not net 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

That will cause the system to dump any packets NOT destined for your
network.

> Linksys identifies the hub as "EFAH05W - EtherFast® 10/100 5-port
> Auto-Sensing Hub."  I'm not sure what it "auto-senses?" but I hope it is
> passing everything it sees at its input.

It autosenses between 10Mbps and 100Mbps links.

> I also tried "iptraf" which collected data for a couple of days but
> showed something on the order of 20 mB received while Wildblue claimed I
> used a lot more.  See my notes below:
>
>             11/12/2007 17:05:25 949 8626
>
>             11/13/2007 03:17:39 1001 9072   +446 mB in 8 hours and 12
>             minutes!
>

>             Almost half a gigaByte download increase overnight, plus 52
>             mB uploaded!
>
>             The curious thing is that this does not agree with my
>             measurements of data transferred at the ethernet connection
>             at the Wildblue receiver over the last 58.43 hours?  I show
>             show 18.3 mB incoming and 2.1 mB outgoing.  Am I only seeing
>             traffic addressed to my computer?  I need to verify that
>             part of my test setup.
>
> This morning my activity has continued to go up despite our best efforts
> to control it.
>
>            11/15/2007 12:20:13 1231 10177
>
> Any suggestions as to how best to use tcpdump or iptraf would be
> appreciated.  I'm not even certain that my attempt to measure activity
> has not caused an increase?  I guess I'm really in over my head ...
>
> Bob Goodwin

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-         We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?       -