Re: Excessive network traffic -

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 13:45 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Ok, but I am not trying to look at the router output I need an address
for the Wildblue supplied receiver/modem device and I don't know hos
to address that or even find it's address.

It may be a router, or it may be just a modem.  That depends on the
device, and the configuration (some can be configured to be a router, or
just a bridge).

Your email headers show a private IP address and a public one, so I'm
presuming that you have a router in your network.

        [70.41.148.215]) by mail1.wildblue.net (Postfix)

Does your modem have a way of being configured, or is it just some black
box with no user adjustments at all?  If it has a little webserver, you
can browse to it and see how its set up (router or bridge, and its IP
addresses).

If I do an ifconfig it just gives me the address of the computer and a
hardware address which I assume is the ethernet NIC.  But  none of
this pertains to the Wildblue "modem."

No gateway?  Hmm, same here.  I'm sure there used to be a "gateway"
section in those results. Maybe I'm recalling when I used to have dial
up internet, and the ifconfig results for the ppp0 interface.

I am lost ...

IPTraf is happy with root@box10, could that be where I need to tell
mrtg to go? I just want to view all the data on eth0.

You could try.

I'm guessing that you do have a router, you could try looking for it at
one of the common addresses for that private subnet, either
192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 (x.x.x.254 being a common address for
routers, and the like, x.x.x.1 being another common address for the
first thing on the network).

I have a system diagram you can view at:

http://users.wildblue.net/bobgoodwin/sys071031.png

I have inserted the hub between the Wildblue receiver and the router. The receiver is a blue box with lights indicating the usual functions power on, locked to the st. sig., ethernet activity, two F connectors for transmit and receive, plus an RJ45 providing a 10/100 connection. The "Surfbeam" spec's I have in my notes give me no clue as to how to address it.

192.168.1.1 addresses the router, that's no problem, I have addresses for all the bridges and the printer, etc., just don"'t know how to reach the receiver/modem whatever it is. They call it a low cost subscriber terminal." The outside unit transmits 1 watt on 30 gHz and produces an IF around 1 gHz which the receiver/modem deals with. The dish is about 60 cm.

The information you derive from my messages is from this computer which is connected via the wireless LAN and the router. I have removed the connection from box10 and connected it directly to the hub via the 50 ft cat. 5 cable so it does not see the router.

Bob Goodwin