Re: Can't remove or change a directory

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
James Pifer wrote:
I have an fc7 box that I'm trying to remove a directory on. I don't
remember why I was playing with the directory permissions in the first
place, but I just want to get rid of it.
the directory is in /root and looks like this:
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2007-11-09 15:35 tmp

I can't do anything with it. Any file change I try to make, chmod, rm,
mv, etc I get this error like:
chmod: changing permissions of `tmp': Read-only file system

How can I get rid of this directory? I've been googling in circles and
can't find a solution.

Thanks,
James

This sounds interesting. What is the output of the mount command?
What exactly is the command you are trying to use to
remove/rename/etc it? (rm /tmp or /rm /mnt/tmp?) Did you know that
to remove a directory, you should use rmdir, and not rm? There is
also "rm -d <directory>", but that is limited to root, and should be
used with care.

Mikkel
In a root Terminal use the forcing type of general directory removal that looks like this:

# rm -rf dir-name and it will be gone.

Karl