Re: Mantis package bombs

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 04:50:17PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 02:35:01PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I don't know the details of the reports Aaron was talking about.  He
> did say that there was a lengthy exchange asking for info, which leads
> me to believe that the maintainer tried to get the needed info.
>
> But yes, I agree that bug reports should be acknowledged and closed
> with some reason, even it's "can't reproduce" or something.

Fair enough.

> > You and Rahul seem to want to make things as easy as possible for
> > the maintainers. I think that's a fine idea. But it's a two way
> > street: the maintainers can acknowledged reports, work with the
> > reporters, and resolve the bugs. A "Won't fix" with an explanation
> > of why is better than leaving it hanging.
>
> Of course.  I hope I didn't give the impression that reports should be
> ignored.  What I do think it worth noting is the sheer number of
> reports and the limit on hours per day.  Most maintainers aren't paid
> to work on Fedora packages, so it seems quite reasonable to expect
> that a user wanting a bug fixed be patient and understanding if their
> bug doesn't get the attention they would like.
>
> I only recently started to maintain a few packages so I don't have
> piles of bug reports to deal with as some maintainers do.

I have had such piles, although not with Fedora. My advice: learn how
to triage them, and how to move them along. Do not get behind; it will
kill you. It's also rude to the reporter.

> I certainly intend to reply to every bug report that is filed on any
> of my packages,

I appreciate that; I hope the good intentions last. As you are a
volunteer (so I take it), don't take on more than you can chew, and
leave yourself some slack. That's advice I've been giving volunteers
and paid employees for damn near half a century now, and its good
advice.

> but I know that other maintainers with heavier workloads may
> not be able to do that.  What can really help in those cases are
> volunteers to do some triaging of bugs to weed out duplicates and ask
> for more info from reports that lack enough detail to enable proper
> debugging[1].

OK, I've worked as a paid professional on the receiving end of bug
systems similar to bugzilla. Sorry, but from that experience I'm
skeptical of the bug zappers. I think it is part of the maintainer's
job to do that stuff. I'm glad to see it proposed and I hope it
prospers. The work definitely needs to be done!

Is there a document anywhere that details what a maintainer should
expect from bugzilla and reporters, how to go about using the system,
etc. For example, a document that gives circumstances under which one
would mark a bug as "will not fix", and steps to take prior to doing
so. An ops manual, if you will, for bugzilla?

Yeah, I know: this is FOSS: Read the Source.

> Basically, since this is a mostly volunteer effort, I get a little
> defensive when anyone has too many expectations from the volunteers.
> (I'm not saying that you do, so please don't take that personally. :)

Understandable, and not taken personally.