Re: Mantis package bombs

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 02:35:01PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I agree that bugzilla should work but it has never worked for me. I
> > file bugzillas and nothing much happens. By the time we get through
> > all the requests for further info a new distribution is out and it
> > makes no difference.
>
> Perhaps it doesn't end with an updated package for the version you
> reported the problem in, but it often means that the bug is fixed so
> future version won't have the same problem.

Then the maintainer should close the report and specify the
resolution. That way the reporter knows what's happened. If Aaron's
going to go to the effort of preparing a good bug report, answering
questions, performing experiments, etc. he at least deserves that
courtesy.

You and Rahul seem to want to make things as easy as possible for the
maintainers. I think that's a fine idea. But it's a two way street:
the maintainers can acknowledged reports, work with the reporters, and
resolve the bugs. A "Won't fix" with an explanation of why is better
than leaving it hanging.

> > I will go further and explain in what situation it is useless to
> > bugzilla. When you problem is more or less unique to your system. If
> > a large fraction on users are having the same problem that your
> > chances of getting an answer are better.
>
> Yes, it's very difficult for an maintainer or developer to fix a bug
> that they cannot reproduce.  There's nothing specific about bugzilla
> in that problem.  It'd be just as difficult of the bug reports went to
> a mailing list. :)

Then the maintainer should try to reproduce it, and if he can't,
report that fact, and ask the reporter for help in reproducing it. If
all else fails, put a sheepish expression on your face, resolve it as
"can't reproduce", and close it. Then at least Aaron will know what
happened to his problem.