Re: MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
Hi,

No changes to the drives, BIOS or anything like that. Did an update via yum (I
think it was on Saturday), reset and nothing - failed to boot completely.
OK. So there was no hard drive with a bad MBR or anything, you have never had your system boot up, period. So you have no idea why it does not boot. Well 3,000 miles away I have no idea either!

The machine has been faultless for years. I've developed tonnes of software on
it and contributed to fedora-extras from it. Prior to this incident, it had
never missed a beat (well, for the most part never missed a beat) in 4 years
of active service.

The MBR theory is down to getting the one GRUB line, no menu or anything else,
but the LVM still be accessible. As the /boot directory is on /dev/hda1 and
the LVM on /dev/hda2 (with the /home on a totally different hard drive), this
is the only thing which it could really be.
OK the grub thing can then be done very easy. Go up in the Rescue mode and when up, type grub at the prompt.

   Now when in grub type exactly:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup(hd0)
grub> quit

This is what should work now that you tell us the exact partition for /boot/.

Please tell us what happens?

I suggest you load it again from a DVD and try to do it right.

And I suggest that you don't just jump to the conclusion you have!

TTFN

Paul