Re: MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

Hi,

> > No changes to the drives, BIOS or anything like that. Did an update via yum (I
> > think it was on Saturday), reset and nothing - failed to boot completely.
> >
> OK. So there was no hard drive with a bad MBR or anything, you have
> never had your system boot up, period. So you have no idea why it
> does not boot. Well 3,000 miles away I have no idea either!

The machine has been faultless for years. I've developed tonnes of software on
it and contributed to fedora-extras from it. Prior to this incident, it had
never missed a beat (well, for the most part never missed a beat) in 4 years
of active service.

The MBR theory is down to getting the one GRUB line, no menu or anything else,
but the LVM still be accessible. As the /boot directory is on /dev/hda1 and
the LVM on /dev/hda2 (with the /home on a totally different hard drive), this
is the only thing which it could really be.

> I suggest you load it again from a DVD and try to do it right.

And I suggest that you don't just jump to the conclusion you have!

TTFN

Paul