Re: MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 08:34 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> My main HD has decided that the MBR should no longer work and be an unhappy
> little monkey. The drive itself is physically fine (I've booted using RIPLinux
> and run fsck over it).
>
> The system currently does this. Start up is fine, all drives detected. I then
> get "Booting from CD" twice and then the single word "GRUB". Then nothing. The
> machine hasn't died or anything like that, just grub stops dead.

Is the "GRUB" message before or after the usual menu?

If you can get the GRUB menu, but can't proceed booting as normal, you
can probably repair GRUB at this stage.  At the menu, hit the hot key
(c) to get a GRUB command line interface, then go through the following
three commands in the grub shell:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> exit

Try booting.

NB: "grub>" being the shell prompt, not something you type.

If it doesn't get as far as the menu, you can try the rescue disc, and
do the same thing, but start the GRUB shell, first, yourself.  Simply
type grub at a command prompt, then those three commands, when you get
the grub shell.

The GRUB manual <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/> can be read
on-line.

--