Re: MBR gone and rescue disc not happy - HELP!!!!

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 12:42 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Hi Paul you were given false instructions by Tim. He said to use
> (hd0,0) I think it was. It should be (hd0) like that.

Uhum!  I gave *example* instructions that *do* work for someone with a
drive set out in the way Paul described (the hard drive at /dev/hda,
it's first partition for /boot, some other partition(s) for the rest of
the OS).  At this point, it doesn't matter whether the drive is /dev/hda
or /dev/sda, GRUB doesn't work that way.

What I gave was instructions to enter three commands:

grub> root (hd0,0)     [state where your /boot/ partition is]
grub> setup (hd0)      [setup where your MBR will be written to]
grub> exit             [finish the task]

This "root" is the boot environment for GRUB, not the running
environment for Linux.  It's the /boot/ partition with the kernel in it,
and the grub/ subdirectory.  Issuing the "exit" command is important.
You might try reading what I wrote, and the GRUB manual reference I
supplied.

Of course, if Paul's MBR has really gone doolally, that might be his
problems (stuffed drive, rather than just errors written to it).  But
another potential cause is using different tools to partition the drive,
they don't all work in the same, compatible with each other, ways.

But, I think, we'd need to know if there is anything more to the story.
Did the drive suddenly change, or was it the result of something else?
e.g. Changing some drives on the system (*any* storage systems, whether
hard drives, or otherwise), changing some BIOS options, etc.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.