Re: Alternative booting

Karl Larsen wrote:

If bios sees the drives as separate things, then that's how you have to install grub, since it has to call bios to load the kernel. On a real hardware raid, bios will only see the array.

BIOS sees them as one drive. A working F7 sees them as two drives and as one under the /mapper dir. I could see this to be a BIOS problem if nothing loads, but GRUB does load at least so far as that it gets to the grub> prompt. So it is not that BIOS is confused. It is purely a GRUB issue.

You aren't done with bios when you get the grub prompt. Grub does not know anything about disk drivers and must make bios calls to load the kernel.

Exactly. I am going to see if it is a kernel problem. Grub really did work on FC6 and that might have been because it has a different kernel. I have the last good old kernel still bootable on this f7 and will try it later.

If you have a grub prompt, the kernel hasn't been loaded yet and can't be the problem.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx