Re: Alternative booting

David Krings wrote:
Hi!

I gave up on getting GRUB to behave consistently in my setup. I squarely blame GRUB for that as there is no reason not to work properly. Anyhow, what are the other reliable boot options other than a boot loader installed in MBR?

I recall from the early Linux days boot floppies as well as booting from Windows was an option. Either way sucks, but is better than what I got now.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

David

Hi David, I this morning am having problems with Grub. But I think the root cause of the problem is my computer's bios setting. Several years ago I set everything up with all the hard drives using cable select and it worked.

Now I want to add a new hard drive and Grub has gone bonkers. I was not able to get it done yet. But I think first I need to go back to Master Slave which defines for grub which is hd0 and hd1. Right now it switches and then the dumb thing can't boot.

If I take the other hard drive clear out this hard drive immediately becomes hd0 and grub is not working. It can't find hd1 :-)

I think if I can get the bios to accept the hard drives set for master and slave then they will not change if one is removed.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User