Re: Alternative booting

David Krings wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I suspect that the problem you are running into is that the
>> device.map file does not match the setup after you hook the Windows
>> drive back up, so that when you install another kernel, or update
>> grub, grub is trying to use the wrong drive.
>
> The extra drives aren't Windows specific. Although they have partitions
> on them, they are just plain NTFS partitions in an extended partition.
>
> Well, is there any way to tell grub at the grub> prompt to look for some
> bootable ext2 file system? Dare I write it, but even Windows can do that
> since the stone ages (and no, it isn't always first partition on the
> first drive, at least not for NT/2K/XP).
>
> I mean, GRUB ought to be a bit smarter...not that I'm saying I can make
> a better or any boot loader.
>
> David

Sure - tell it that /boot/grub is on hd1,# where # is the correct
partition on the second drive. The drive number has to match the
BIOS mapping, because BIOS calls are used. The thing is, if the BIOS
drive mapping is changed after grub is installed, you have to tell
grub about it. The later Windows boot loaders have the same problem
- install XP to the second drive on second drive on a system, and
move it to a new system, or install it on the first drive, and then
change that drive to the slave, and add a master. The problem is you
only have so much space for the first stage boot loader, and both
the first stage and second stage boot loaders use the BIOS to load
things.

Now, if your Linux drive is set as the boot device, and you
chainload to boot Windows, then I don't understand why you are
running into problems. On the other hand, if you are using booting
from the RAID array with Windows on it, you have to tell grub about
the changed BIOS mapping. It is best to do this before installing
grub to the MBR of the RAID array.

Mikkel