Re: Alternative booting

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
One other thing that can mess up grub is if you tell the BIOS to
boot from another drive. This can change the drive ordering that the
BIOS reports. For example, if I boot normally, my internal hard
drive is hd0, but if I boot off a USB drive, then that drive is hd0.

I specified booting other device, but the sequence is CD, HDD, Floppy, None. I can change the order of the HDDs in the BIOS and set the RAID to be the first drive.

I don't know if grub has this problem, but I remember that with
lilo, you had to tell it if you were booting off a SCSI drive on a
mixed SCSI/IDE system. It would assume that the IDE drive was mapped
as the first hard drive by the BIOS. I believe it would have the
same problem with a system with both SATA and PATA controllers, but
I never tried it.

I do have DVD drives on the onboard IDE, but those are correctly identified as optical drives. All hard drives appear as SCSI drives as both the SATA RAID as well as the Promise IDE controller are listed as SCSI drives in the BIOS.

I will keep turning off boot other device in mind if I ever attempt installing GRUB again, but it really shouldn't be any problem as I have the boot device sequence and the drive sequence clearly defined.

Besides that, I don't think I ask from GRUB to perform something extraordinarily special. FakeRAID SATA is around for about two years and F7 does load the correct drivers and detects the RAID array correctly. I strongly believe that the RAID isn't the problem here, but the Promise controller and only when it installs its BIOS as there is generally not a problem when I disconnect the drives.

David