Re: raid-one

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

It can be harder than this, though. Consider what happens after you have been doing this for a while and are re-using disks that already have auto-detect md devices on them and/or filesystem labels that may conflict with ones you are using. Some of the quirkier disk controllers can also map a volume into the position where it was configured, even if you move it or move to a different machine. You might pull a disk from the 2nd position on one machine, move it to the first position on a different machine and add an unconfigured disk in the 2nd position and have the 2nd drive come up as /dev/sda.

But, as long as your new drive hasn't been used, an 'fdisk -l' will show you which does not have partitions.
Les you must have had a real hard time with something. I have not moved a hard drive in 4 years. I don't need to do that here at home. When I was working years ago I hired a expert to do all those things. I could still hire an expert but have more fun learning to be one.

I'm supposed to be the expert... Things are a little different when you need to keep hundreds of old machines running all the time plus keeping up with all the new stuff. I swap disks around all the time and a lot of them had linux raid and labeled filesystems in their previous use too. For a long time, fedora would refuse to boot if grub.conf or fstab mentioned a label that was duplicated - and installs used the same label names every time so duplication was almost certain. Something just smells wrong about that - or any form of second-guessing which disk is which.

Yes well mdadm --detail /dev/md5 tells me that this hard drive which does have labels needs to get the labels removed and then get the partition changed to fd. I think then I will not be able to boot the god dam thing! So before the change you do something with mkinitrd and that sure is not something to look for :-(

   Getting just a simple raid-1 running and doing so right is a pain.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User