Re: raid-one

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

The tricky parts are dealing with what happens if you make duplicate filesystem labels and making the new drive bootable. But those can be fixed with a rescue-mode boot.

Well guys I just set up my first raid-1 system. Here is what it said:

[root@k5di etc]# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md5 : active raid1 sda5[0]
     5124608 blocks [2/1] [U_]
    unused devices: <none>
[root@k5di etc]#

I did this over lunch and it took several fdisk efforts lots of root terminal things like mkfs and cp -a and such but now on this computer is all of f7 /dev/sdb5 and on the other hard drive I have /home at /dev/sda5 through the raid 1 system. It appears to be working fine and to do the whole thing requires more repeated things and another step to get grub happy :-)

It can be harder than this, though. Consider what happens after you have been doing this for a while and are re-using disks that already have auto-detect md devices on them and/or filesystem labels that may conflict with ones you are using. Some of the quirkier disk controllers can also map a volume into the position where it was configured, even if you move it or move to a different machine. You might pull a disk from the 2nd position on one machine, move it to the first position on a different machine and add an unconfigured disk in the 2nd position and have the 2nd drive come up as /dev/sda.

But, as long as your new drive hasn't been used, an 'fdisk -l' will show you which does not have partitions.
Les you must have had a real hard time with something. I have not moved a hard drive in 4 years. I don't need to do that here at home. When I was working years ago I hired a expert to do all those things. I could still hire an expert but have more fun learning to be one.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User