Re: raid-one

Tim:
>> I agree with Les - when talking about arranging drive structure, you
>> should mention that the process is destructive, and you should back up
>> anything that you need to keep, first.

Karl Larsen:
> But I see no reason to be afraid of the set up proceedure. Yes you can
> screw up fdisk and make an error or errors. But all you need to know is
> to look at the changes with care before you hit w :-)

Remember that when you write instructions, it's people who know little,
or even nothing, about it, are going to be the ones following them.
It's a common question that people will ask whether they can modify
partitions without losing data.  The answer is, "sometimes."

Any instructions about modifying a drive structure really needs to make
it clear from the outset, that you probably can't change a drive and
keep what's on it, at the same time.  If you look at other guides
written about this sort of thing, you'll find that a large number of
them will warn about losing data as part of the operation.  They do so
with good reason, I'd suggest you should follow that example.

Not everybody partitions a drive before installing to it, some people do
modify drive partitions on a drive in use. For instance, you can, often,
mess around with partitions on a part of the drive that was previously
not used, while keeping existing partitions as they are, but only if due
care is taken.  And, in *some* cases, it's possible to change the sizes
of existing partitions, and keep the data in them.  And there's plenty
of other conditional things.

This is a complex subject, and trying to condense it down into a
one-page article may not be a good thing to do.  You certainly can't be
comprehensive, that way.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386