Re: How can i make a wireless connection in the command line?

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>    I just turned on my laptop that is working with WiFi and ifconfig
>>> shows an entry it calls wifi0.00 and it has the latest data on the
>>> connection. This is on F7.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Strange - when I run ifconfig I do not see any information about the
>> essid, Wireless mode, key, etc. I do see this when I run iwconfig.
>> So either you have a different version of ifconfig or you completely
>> missed the point. We were talking about wireless extensions.
>>
>> Now, as far as the name of the interface, it depends on the driver
>> and if you are using driver's default name. For example, using the
>> iwl3945 driver, my wireless interface is wlan0. If I tried to set
>> wireless options for wifi0.00, it would not work. Under FC-6 with
>> the ipw3945 driver, it is eth1. This is why you need to know the
>> correct interface name when setting it manually from the command line.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
>    I reported what seemed to be against what you were saying. I am not
> going to talk wireless extentions because I have no idea what that is.
> As I say ifconfig has data on the performance of the wifi on my laptop.
> PERIOD!
>
> Karl

Let me see if I have this right - you do not know what wireless
extensions are, but you think I am wrong when I say that ifconfig
does not understand them. You really should run iwconfig and look at
the output. It has a lot of data on your wireless connection that
ifconfig does not show. You should also read the topic of this
thread. Then you would know that it is about.

Mikkel